The training part of the program consists of three core modules: one twoday Design Thinking Deep Dive workshop, and two three-day workshops, Train the Trainer 1: Coaching a Team and Train the Trainer
2: Coaching in Context.
This forms the foundation of the program and all participants must attend all three modules.
Deep Dive: Design Thinking & You
This workshop gives participants the chance to refresh their understanding of design thinking. The first part is a deep dive into the innovation mindset of a design thinker. Here, the aim is for all participants to experience the mindset through various activities, reflect and finally consider what they would like to improve on. The second part is dedicated to exploring the design thinking process and its six phases. Here the aim is firstly to understand the logic of the process as a whole, then to zoom into each phase, and finally to reflect on how the mindset and process fit together.
- Experience and reflect on the innovation mindset of a design thinker,
- understand the logic behind the design thinking process as a whole, as well as each individual phase,
- think about what design thinking means to you, and how to communicate it effectively and authentically.
Train the Trainer 1: Coaching a Team
This workshop focuses on coaching a team. Participants start by building their confidence guiding teams through the design thinking process. They then explore the characteristics of different styles of coaching, before reflecting on their own style. Finally, participants consider the impact of team dynamics on design thinking projects, and explore various strategies to deal with them effectively. Over three days, participants have various opportunities to try out their skills as team coaches in a safe space. For the whole duration of the training, our experienced HPI Academy coaches provide continuous, intensive support and personalized feedback to all participants.
- accompany teams through the design thinking process as a coach,
- explore different styles of coaching and discover your own,
- perceive team dynamics and respond appropriately.
Train the Trainer 2: Coaching in Context
This workshop aims to place the activity of coaching a team into its wider context within a company or organization. As such, this module mainly focuses on the preparation and follow-up work that a coach undertakes in order to lead a successful design thinking project. We start by exploring different formats for design thinking projects. Using real-life challenges submitted by course participants, teams design a detailed project roadmap which takes into account the bigger picture, such as the organization or company’s strategy, internal culture or constraints. They then present this to their peers for feedback at the end.
- design and execute design thinking projects,
- plan them in a targeted, yet flexible way,
- locate the design thinking project within the bigger picture.